Monday, October 29, 2007

Drawing New York (is impossible) - Barnes & Noble, Union Sq

I went to a Monday night drawing class with my same teacher. They meet at different sites around town and draw from life. The idea is to be clever and quick enough that you can make a good drawing even when the people move or leave. I did everything wrong! It made me crazy.

We're at the 3rd fl cafe, B&N Un Sq.
(gawker stalker: Aaron Eckhart walked by me as I was getting off the escalator.)




First, here are 2 pictures by my teacher. He did them for me on separate visits around the class when he could see that I was floundering. I include them here so you can see where I was aiming. Can you believe how gorgeous they are? Each panel took him about a minute. It seems so simple when someone else's brains & arm performs the work.

my notes--I made them abt half-way through class to remind myself what I was supposed to be doing. They're kind of funny directions to myself.

aaah! they kept walking away!
I gave up and started again.

it's not working.
and that poor lady in the bottom right corner--she should sue me for visual libel

trying . . .trying . . .really, I was! Drawing sucks.
Not sure why there's a gremlin in the top right quadrant.

I think I know where I'm going wrong, but it doesn't make it easier to do it right.
The guy in the Yankees hat (lower right) was asleep and therefore motionless.

I didn't plan to post these drawings because I wanted to pretend that this night's failures never happened. I've had some--okay, a lot of--candy & now the episode seems funny instead of frustrating.

No comments: