Friday, October 12, 2007

Drawing at the Met - big black vases from the Greek galleries


I was trying to practice that composition stuff. I remember that I wasted most of my drawing time trying to decide what to draw.

This one was more difficult than I thought it would be. My sad small motor skills don't yet let me draw the lines where I want them to go, and I can't hide that problem when I'm trying to represent smooth, curved, perfectly symmetrical objects. It makes it too easy to see where I went wrong. There's a lesson in that somewhere for me. Also, what's up with that single super-dark handle?

The part of the drawing I like is the top of the vase in the extreme foreground, top right corner of the page. It was also the easiest, quickest, and most fun part to draw. Sometimes painstaking effort doesn't pay off after all--another life lesson for me.

No comments: