Thursday, October 16, 2008

Portraits - Five: "warm underpainting" homework + starting portrait 3

I think I took a snapshot of this, maybe on my phone. So photo TK, maybe. I don't know where I put the homework. Some blog, huh?

Here's what you missed so far: the model is seated on a platform slightly above us. She is pretty. She is lit from below. It is already too hard and I want to stop and go home. She has a prominent nose and chin, so they cast shadows upward on her face. I should've pushed the Toulouse-Lautrec-ishness, but I'm more at the slavish copying-stage of my artistic development, and I let the competing fluorescent lighting on my side of the room cancel out most of those shadows and sap out the drama. That's also what the bright white reflections around her cheekbone are supposed to be about. No, those aren't whiskers, they're what remain of the dramatic footlights! Same thing with the uni-brow. See you next wk.

No comments: